Minor in Japanese
University of Oregon undergraduate students must complete an academic major to graduate; they may also complete additional majors, minors, or both. The department of East Asian Languages and Literatures also offers a minor in Japanese to undergraduate students.
The Japanese minor requires a minimum of 6 upper-division courses (a minimum of 24 graded credits), which must consist of at least 3 language courses, 2 courses in literature, linguistics, and or culture, and a sixth course that has any of JPN or EALL subject code. At least three of the six courses must be taken in residence on the University of Oregon campus from the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures.
- Language – a minimum of 3 language courses at 3rd year or higher
- JPN301 Third-Year Japanese
- JPN302 Third-Year Japanese
- JPN303 Third-Year Japanese
- JPN411 Fourth-Year Japanese
- JPN412 Fourth-Year Japanese
- JPN413 Fourth-Year Japanese
- Culture/Literature/Film/Linguistics – minimum of 2 courses from the following
- JPN305 Introduction to Japanese Literature
- JPN306 Introduction to Japanese Literature
- JPN307 Introduction to Japanese Literature
- JPN315 Introduction to Japanese Linguistics
Upper-division language courses must be taken at the University of Oregon or through an Oregon State System of Higher Education program in Japan. Lower-division courses must be passed with grades of P or C- or better; upper-division courses must be passed with grades of C- or better.